Right to Know
The Borough of Emmaus Police Department is a public agency and subject to the provisions of the Pennsylvania Right to Know Act. The Borough of Emmaus Police Department recognizes that certain information is public record, and may be released to the pubic in a manner that does not compromise the effectiveness or operations of the agency.
The Borough of Emmaus Police Department also recognizes that it is not obligated to keep or create separate data bases to comply with the provisions of the act.
The purpose of this is to explain the procedures for requesting information and how the information will be disseminated. Right to Know Request Form.
Requests for Records:
All requests shall be in writing and signed by the person making the request. The following requests will not be accepted:
- Oral requests.
- Anonymous requests.
- Requests via e-mail.
Requests for records shall be addressed to:
Emmaus Police Department
Office of the Chief of Police
400 Jubilee Street
Emmaus, PA. 18049
The following fees will be charged to the requestor when a written request for records is granted:
- All copies: (25) cents per page.
- Records fitting into a standard sized envelope: no cost
- Other mailings: actual cost
- Fees must be paid by a certified check or money order payable to: Borough of Emmaus Police Department.
- The requestor may be required to prepay fees where the fee estimate is $100.00 or greater.
Public Information that may be released includes:
- Information permitted to be released in accordance with the Department’s Media Relations Policy (Procedure No. 16).
- Crash reports in accordance with Title 75 (PA. Vehicles Code).
- Incident reports are limited to the following:
- Date of incident.
- Type of incident.
- Location of incident.
- Person(s) arrested: name, age, place of residence, charges.
- To the extent that incident reports are considered investigative records, release of information will be limited.
Denial of requests for information pursuant to the Right to Know Act may be appealed, pursuant to the Act.
Requests shall only be accepted by:
- Regular mail.
- Delivery in person during official business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding holidays and other closings.
- All requests shall include the name and address to which the response will be sent.
- All requests shall specifically describe and identify the record(s) being requested.
- The requestor shall be a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Requests of record(s) from former residents of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Proof of former residency will be required.
Information will be released in one of the following manners:
- In writing.
- By being made available for viewing.
Non-Public Information: Information which will not be released includes but is not limited to:
- Information that could jeopardize the personal security of police department personnel.
- Investigative records and information.
- Investigative crash reports.
- Personnel records.
- Any and all records that do not fall under the definition of a public record.
- Information protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Victim and witness information.
- Police Department Procedures and Policies.
Redaction of non-public information will occur when it is part of a document containing information that is not considered public under the terms of the Right to Know Act.